Based on extensive research, Soul Ingredients® is a teaching methodology I created for developing a singer/performer's musical style. This methodology shows students how to take their musical influences and models and execute the different components in a manner that is personal to the singer/performer’s own personal expression. The development of personal expression is manifested by:
- Helping the student to identify their personal connection to the lyrics or story of the song he or she is performing.
- Identifying the different forms of musical expression that are commonly used in various genres and sub-genres of music.
- Guiding the student through musical analysis demonstrating how other singers/performers in their genre of choice execute the various forms of emotional expression.
- Identifying and Recognizing the singer's/performers personal form of emotional expressions. (i.e. Various levels of specific emotions.)
- Assisting the student in musically articulating their emotional perspective in the context of the song.
What is Soul?
Soul, in the context of musical expression, is the experience, the feelings/sentiments, the conviction, and the vulnerability of the performer executed through a specific musical vocabulary and performance practice commonly associated with the African-American/Black music tradition.
"If you're sad, cry like YOU cry...because no one can feel or express YOUR pain like you can!"